I am often asked for some Healthy Breakfast Options, as breakfast, although it doesn’t have to be so, is usually a different kind of meal to lunch and dinner.
I will share with you my favorite healthy breakfast options, starting with this one today!
I Call it NUTRI-PORRIDGE.
All Organic, suitable for folks on Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy, Gluten and Egg free diets.
What’s in Nutri-Porridge?
- GF OATS – You can use other GF grains of your choice, eg Millet, Buckwheat etc . I favor Oats which I find soothing.
- SEEDS – of your choice. I like to use Pumpkin, sunflower, chia, linseeds, SPROUTED Alfa-alfa and Broccoli seeds.
- NUTS – of your choice. I use a mixture of whole and ground nuts. My choice is mainly almonds, walnuts, pine nuts.
- BERRIES – as per availability/ choice. I like to use Blueberries and Goji berries.
- FRUIT/S – (other) variable eg half a banana, half an apple or a few pieces of pineapple…
- SUPER FOODS – a wide variety available now a days, e.g, powdered Greens, Spirulina, Maca etc. Currently, I open up 2 capsules of Collagen (hydrolysed) and sprinkle them on the mixture.
- LIQUIDS – I prefer Water, but you may use Coconut water in which case there may not be need of much fruit.
- GARNISH – Sometimes I add Almond or Walnut butter as a garnish on top.
Variable per your choice and quantity of consumption. I use less oats, 1-2 bits of fruit, & more of nuts, seeds etc..
I may soak the oats separately overnight or may not depending upon time! If soaked, you can discard the water which will remove some of the starch. It is beneficial to soak the nuts and some seeds which make them easier to digest.
Prior to heating the oats in a stainless steel or ceramic saucepan, I usually prepare and get the rest of the ingredients like nuts, seeds, chopped fruit, super-food powders, etc… together in a bowl of my choice.
It usually looks quite colorful and appetizing!
Then I start heating the oats with a small amount of water as I like the consistency to be thick. You can add the desired amount of liquid to make it thick/runny, to the consistency you enjoy. The mixture gets quite gelatinous and sticks to the pan fast, hence I put together the rest of the ingredients in the bowl first so I can constantly stir this oats mixture.
Cook first on medium high heat and then reduce heat till cooked and to the desired consistency. Turn off the heat and spoon the creamy oats onto the colorful nutritious Nature’s mix in your bowl.
Appreciate, sit down and enjoy your warm Nutri-porridge healthy breakfast right away before it turns cold !
Email DrSimiKhanna@gmail.com if you have any questions.